The wood shop is 975 sq. ft. and contains a table saw, radial arm miter saw, planer, jointer, drill press, bandsaw, scroll saw, oscillating spindle sander, combination belt and disc sander, lathe, and other hand tools. It also contains a large CNC router. The shop is also equipped with compressed air quick connections for powering tools and machines. There are two air filtration units located up high in the ceiling. When producing wood dust turn on the filtration units with the white remote control. Theses do a good job of removing a large percentage of the wood dust from the air.
All the same safety rules from the machine shop apply:
- Safety glasses must be worn when crossing into the shop area marked on the floor.
- No horseplay in the shop.
- Don’t do anything distracting to yourself or others while operating machinery.
- Do not wear any loose clothing, jewelry, or landyards.
- No hats or open toed shoes.
- Hair will not extend bellow the collar.
- Do not wear gloves while operating machinery.
- Food or drink is allowed when not operating machinery and it is kept a safe distance away from the machines.
- Do not attempt to operate machinery in the shop that you have not been certified on by GFU engineering personnel.
- Do not argue with volunteers or shop staff. Contact Justin Johnson if you have issues that need to be resolved.
- Do not operate machinery without a shop supervisor or trained volunteer in the shop with you. Never operate equipment alone in the shop.
- Reset the space. Make the area you are working in ready for the next person using the dust broom and vacuum cleaner.
- The first aid kit is located in the machine shop, next to the wood shop doors.
- If you see a safety violation inform the person immediately and encourage them to comply with the policies
- Don’t do anything that would require an additional rule to be added to this list.