Serial Number: X1810057501 / X1810057506
Ace: Needed ().
Location: Machine Shop
Baldor buffers are built rugged for demanding work loads. 1,800 RPM buffers offer the ultimate in buffer flexibility. Excellent for polishing and buffing metal, aluminum, brass and copper.
Here is video about polishing. This guy is wearing gloves while polishing but you should never wear gloves around rotating equipment.
- Buffing Wheel Rake -Metal teeth mounted to a wooden handle used for cleaning the buffing wheels.
- Rouge -A polishing compound that normally comes in bars.
There is a cloth wheel located on both sides of the buffer motor. When you rub the polishing rouge against the cloth wheels some of the material embeds and sticks in the cloth. As you press material up against the wheel small amounts of material get removed and begin to polish the metal surface. You will need to apply more rouge as the material is used up. The wheels spins at 1800 RPM so remember to always work on the lower portion of the wheel and never hold any parts so the edges can catch on the wheel. Never wear gloves while using rotating equipment.
You will need to demonstration how to setup the buffer and safely polish a piece of scrap aluminum.
- Select a scrap piece of aluminum or a part to polish.
- Debur the part so no sharp edges are present.
- select the proper rouge for the material you are polishing.
- Put on a face shield to protect your face.
- Turn on the power switch for the buffer motor.
- Apply the polishing rouge to the cloth wheel.
- The buffing wheels can catch the material you are polishing and rip it out of your hands.
- Be aware of the direction of the spinning wheels.
- Never hold a part so the edge can catch the wheel.
- Never wear gloves while buffing. If a part gets warm take a break and let it cool off.
Always start with the correct rouge for the material you are working with. Use the rake as needed to clean the wheel.
The buffing wheels need to be cleaned using a buffing wheel rake when switching between polishing compounds.
Specific Maintenance Tasks
|Maintenance Procedure||Frequency||Done By|
|Replace wheels||As needed||Technician|