The wood shop is 975 sq. ft. and contains a table saw, radial arm miter saw, planer, jointer, drill press, bandsaw, scroll saw, oscillating spindle sander, combination belt and disc sander, lathe, and other hand tools. It also contains a large CNC router. The shop is also equipped with compressed air quick connections for powered tools and machines.
All the same safety rules from the machine shop apply:
- Safety glasses must be worn when crossing into the shop area marked on the floor.
- No horseplay in the shop.
- Don’t do anything distracting to yourself or others while operating machinery.
- Do not wear any loose clothing, jewelry, or landyards.
- No hats or open toed shoes.
- Hair will not extend bellow the collar.
- Do not wear gloves while operating machinery.
- Food or drink is allowed when not operating machinery and it is kept a safe distance away from the machines.
- Do not attempt to operate machinery in the shop that you have not been certified on by GFU engineering personnel.
- Do not argue with volunteers or shop staff. Contact Justin Johnson if you have issues that need to be resolved.
- Do not operate machinery without a shop supervisor or trained volunteer in the shop with you. Never operate equipment alone in the shop.
- Reset the space. Make the area you are working in ready for the next person using the dust broom and vacuum cleaner.
- The first aid kit is located in the machine shop, next to the wood shop doors.
- If you see a safety violation inform the person immediately and encourage them to comply with the policies
- Don’t do anything that would require an additional rule to be added to this list.