The wood shop is 975 sq. ft. and contains a table saw, radial arm miter saw, planer, jointer, drill press, bandsaw, scroll saw, oscillating spindle sander, combination belt and disc sander, lathe, and other hand tools. It also contains a large CNC router table that is not normally available for student operation. However, parts can be designed for it and submitted for routing. This is a limited and not necessarily time sensitive resource, but, available nonetheless.
All the same safety rules from the machine shop apply:
· Safety glasses must be worn when crossing into the shop area marked on the floor.
· No horseplay in the shop.
· Don’t do anything distracting to yourself or others while operating machinery.
· Do not wear any loose clothing, jewelry, or landyards.
· No hats or open toed shoes.
· Hair will not extend bellow the collar.
· Do not wear gloves while operating machinery.
· Food or drink is allowed when not operating machinery and it is kept a safe distance away from the machines.
· Do not attempt to operate machinery in the shop that you have not been certified on by GFU engineering personnel.
· Do not argue with volunteers or shop staff. Contact Justin Johnson if you have issues that need to be resolved.
· Do not operate machinery without a shop supervisor or trained volunteer in the shop with you. Never operate equipment alone in the shop.
· Reset the space. Make the area you are working in ready for the next person using the dust broom and vacuum cleaner.
· The first aid kit is located in the machine shop, next to the woodshop doors.
· If you see a safety violation inform the person immediately and encourage them to comply with the policies
· Don’t do anything that would require an additional rule to be added to this list.