Serial Number: 142263020
Ace: Needed (Makerhub@georgefox.edu).
Location: Machine Shop
A slip roller is a machine used to roll sheet metal. The machine consists of 3 rollers that feed in the sheet metal and force it curve. The distance between the rollers is adjustable and therefore the radius is adjustable. In addition to rolling sheet metal, the roller in the shop includes wire grooves for bending solid rod. Due to the size of the rollers, the minimum forming diameter of the roller in the shop is 4.5"
Demonstrate you can safely setup the slip roller and roll a piece of scrap material. If you roll a complete circle be very careful when you disengage the top roll and slip the material off the roller. Never try to force the roller back into position after disengaging it. You have lots of leverage when holding onto the end of the roll and will cause damage by forcing it back into position. If the roller will not easily move back into position have someone gently crank the rotation handle until the roller drops into place.
- Adjust the radius by turning the knobs on the back of the machine. This adjusts the distance between the rollers.
- Adjust the amount of pinch using the knobs on the front left of the machine for materials of different thickness. If the gap between the rollers is too far apart the material will slip on the rollers.
- Begin by pulling the right side of the top roller out of its slot.
- Insert your piece that you would like to roll between the rollers.
- Re-secure the top roller inside of the slot prior to rolling.
- Slowly rotate the handle until you have rolled to the desired radius. If the initial radius is not the desired radius, re-roll at a slightly tighter radius.
- Unlock the top roller to slide your rolled metal off the end of roller.
There are several hazards you need to be aware of when using the slip roll.
- Never put your finger near the rollers as they could be sucked in and crushed.
If you experience the material slipping in the roller you may need to apply more tension by adjusting the roller tension knobs.
Keep the slip roller clean and keep the rolls oiled so they don't rust. There are several lubrication points that need to be checked by the tech.
Specific Maintenance Tasks
|Maintenance Procedure||Frequency||Done By|
|Clean machine rolls||As Needed||Student|